Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Building Application

Georgetown Building Application Process

The Building Inspectorate section of the City Engineering department deals with the inspection of the buildings and plans. Building inspectors have Wards allocated to them for inspection purpose.

Any building construction has to be approved by the council before the construction can be done. To get the approval for construction, multiple documents are attached like survey of land, plan etc.

The process to receive a building permit involves a number of departments and agencies so it is important to follow the steps below carefully in order to reduce any delay due to incorrect submission.

Please use this process for new structures, extensions and/or additions to your property.

Key Information

  1. The building has to be built as per the approved plan. Inspections are done to ensure the same.
  2. Rates and taxes for the building are to be paid in the treasury department before any construction can be done.
  3. Any non-compliance found during the inspection is dealt with by serving notices and could result in a court appearance.
  4. For commercial buildings, plans have to be sent to the fire department for approval which will make sure that there are fire escapes in the building. Plans also have to be sent for approval to the fire department if generators have to be installed.
  5. Plans then have to be sent for approval to sewage department (Guyana Water Inc) if the site is in Georgetown.

How to Start the Process

The following documents must be submitted to the Building Inspectorate Section of the City Engineer’s Department (Notes to support the submission process can be found here):

  • Accurately completed Building Application Form (here)
  • Certified copy of Ownership Document (current year)
  • Four Copies of Building Plans
  • Copy of survey plan for the plot of land where the work will be executed
  • Four copies of structural building plans
  • Copy of receipt(s) showing rates and taxes paid in full for current year
  • Processing Fee

Once submitted, the documents will be checked and inspected by M&CC, GWI, CP&HA & the Fire Service (Step 2) before finalized by the City Works Committee, Statutory Meeting of the Council, the Town Clerk and to end the process, the City Engineer provides the final approval (Step 3).

Requirement for a Waiver of Boundary

  1. A written application addressed to the Town Clerk (outlining your request)
  2. Certified copy of Transport or Lease (999 years)
  3. Proof of Identity (valid passport or identification card)
  4. Updated original Valuation for Rating Purposes obtained from the Valuation Office, Camp Street bearing the Chief Valuation Officer’s signature
  5. A current General Rates receipt paid in full.
  6. A copy of a Surveyor Plan registered with the Lands and Survey Department
  7. Processing fee of fifty-five thousand dollars ($55,000.00)

Note, additional documents may be required for Companies.