This section covers the following commercial establishments & food handlers in the municipality jurisdiction of Georgetown:
- Grocery & Provision Shops
- Super markets
- Beer Gardens
- Cold storage and freezers
- Food handlers like Waiters, Cooks, Street vendors
It is the responsibility of this department to maintain the hygiene and cleanliness at the above establishments in the municipality. The main activities that are performed by this department are:
- Issue licenses and certificates
- Issue medical certificates
The food and hygiene department collects the registration and license fee from the food establishments. This fee is as per the defined rates for each establishment per annum. All eating houses, restaurants, provision stores, cold storages have to be registered with the Food and Hygiene section. They conduct regular and planned inspection and investigations of all the establishments under their purview. This is done as per their quarterly and monthly roster.
They issue medical certificates to the food handlers with the help of the Georgetown Hospital. The food handlers need to undergo physical examination, lab tests every 6 months. The section also acts as the Food and drugs inspector and has the authority to seize and destroy if something is not fit for human consumption.
The inspection and follow-up process followed by the department is covered under the common inspection and certification process.
Fees & Charges
- 100-400 sq ft- $2,000.00 per sqft
- 401-5000 sq ft- $8.00 per sqft
- 5001-10000 sq ft- $7.00 per sqft
- >10000 sq ft – $6.00 per sqft
Cold Storage fees for cold rooms
- $30,000.00 + $3,000.00 for every additional cold room
Food Handlers license